Before we get into the thick of things, let’s talk about what I do and do not mean by fit.
I’m not talking about being a female body builder. Survival isn't about having the biggest muscles or the fastest sprint (although both may help).
It's about endurance. And it's about being able to do pull-ups. Being able to hoist your own weight to safety could save your life!
The goal of this article is to help you learn how to improve your chances of survival before disaster strikes while still living a normal life.
What are the benefits of being fit during anypocalypse?
- You will be more able to outrun the enemy.
- With more upper body strength, you will be able to climb more effectively when needs be.
- You will be able to support your weight in odd positions for longer periods of time.
- Hiding will be easier because your breathing will be less labored.
- Overall, the biggest benefit is that the fitter you are the more your chances of survival grow.
- Don't smoke: it is bad for your long term health. But in the short run it really cuts down your ability to breathe well. Breathing affects everything. You won't able to run, climb, and hide if you can draw a deep steady breath.
- Don't be obese: No one wants you to be a stick figure, but if you are carrying around too much extra weight, you are putting un-do stress on your heart and lungs. This will slow you down and make you easier prey for whatever Demon of the Underworld is snapping at your heels.
- Do not over-indulge on drugs and/or alcohol: The negative effects of substance abuse are too abundant to list here. However, it should be clear that being toasted is going to impair your judgment. In an apocalypse situation, this will be deadly.
How do you get fit?
- Park farther from shops and walking the extra distance
- Use stairs rather than elevators
- Abandon many electric kitchen aids in favor of manually powered ones
- Avoid poor eating decisions
- Join a gym and go three times a week
- Get some aerobic exercise at least a few times a week
- Take up weight training and core strength training
- Join a yoga or pilates class and practice at home between sessions
- Take up a physical hobby like cross country skiing, surfing, or hiking: hobbies such as these are great exercise and will aid you in surviving your personal apocalypse.
What advice would you give readers about how to get fit?